Tuesday 21 May 2013

3D printed Raspberry pi camera case

I received my Raspicam yesterday from Premier Farnell/Element14 (you can also order one from RS Components). It surelly looks like a very nice piece of kit, light simple and sensitive to static.The camera is based on a OV5647 module (see http://www.ovt.com/products/sensor.php?id=66) and the camera PCB is about 25x20x9.7mm. The camera module is a fixed focus 5MP sensor capable of 2592x1944 stills, but also 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 and capable of  faster frame rates.


I am eager to start tinkering with the camera, as I bet it will lend itself to a nice still shot platform or to an affordable network home surveillance option. Also see all the stuff available on http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3890. But before the tinkering begins I felt the urge to protect the sensitive electronics onboard the PCB from my electrifying touch hence I came up with a very simple case design made of a base where the camera board is inserted and a top lid.



I have shared the initial version of the case on thingiverse and I am also selling some of the cases in ebay for everyone without access to a 3D printer.



Weekend weather forecast is bad so weekend will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment